How will you go to the movies? Or talk in the dark?

So, just as in Mrs. P's post, I have a similar story.  When my husband and I became engaged, the first thing my grandmother asked was "How will you talk in the dark?"  That one was experimented upon--when we were first married we really did try the whole "fingerspell words into the palm of his hand" idea and it led to so many "what?", "what was that?", "please say it again." that the lights finally came back on...every time. Ha ha!

The other question she asked was "Well, how will you go to the movies together?" (Okay, let me clarify a little--going to the movies nowadays is so much easier than going way back then.  Captioned movies were not that available...and even now we don't have every movie as an option, nor a convenient time or day.)  My story with this one is that we didn't go to the movies together--at least not that often.  I can remember when the Star Wars movie made it to the big screen (it is the one where Anakin is older and falls in love with the queen) and my husband really wanted to see it on the screen--so, during the times in the movie where it was daylight (meaning the theatre itself was lit up from the darkness) I would hurry and explain all that was happening during the parts that he couldn't see me well.  LOL.  I think even though he missed a lot of the dialogue, he would still say it was worth going to see (besides, how can our small TV compare to the body-shaking surround sound??).  And one other memory--we lived about three hours from a major city and around Christmas time we took that drive down to watch a movie that was going to be open-captioned. Can you believe it?  It took us longer to drive there and back than to watch the movie itself.  Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear your very interesting Deaf/Hearing love stories!