Learning ASL-some get it right off the bat...

Mrs. B:
My life during ASL acquisition:

After that phone call regarding registration I began taking ASL classes and education classes.  I loved my ASL classes!  I do need to share an experience, however; in one of those classes (probably the very first ASL class I ever had) I went into the “lab” to study for a test and the Deaf monitor there was trying to sign “good luck” to us.  He was fingerspelling “l-u-c-k” and because he was Deaf and I was extremely shy and not feeling very confident with my receptive abilities (and because he was Deaf), I must have mentally put a block up that barred any capability of comprehending a four-letter fingerspelled word.  Unfortunately I could not figure out the word, even after the millionth time he fingerspelled it to me—I could visibly see his face getting angry that I couldn’t catch his painfully slow spelling.  Needless to say I was flustered and embarrassed and wondering why in the world was I still in this sign class!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear your very interesting Deaf/Hearing love stories!