Mrs. P's Tip Number One


"Are you sure you're not marring him because you feel sorry for him?"

"You're marrying a deaf man? That's... interesting..."

"She's hearing? Ooohhh... Ok..."

"Does she at least know ASL?"

And the list goes on... 


When Mr. P and I would tell people we were engaged, we'd get all kinds of reactions. You'd think each of us had decided to marry an alien from the moon or something by the way some people responded. I'm glad we didn't hear/see all the things that were said behind our backs... Most people, thankfully, were pretty accepting and very happy for us. 

Negative reactions do make you think, though. "Do I really know what I'm getting myself into?" "Should I be worried?" If you are in this situation and wondering how to navigate through, let me give you a tip - ignore the naysayers! Turn a deaf ear (yes, the pun was intended - cheesy, I know)!

Honestly, don't listen to what others are saying; listen to your own heart! I always tell people that I fell in love with Mr. P, he just happens to be deaf. If you focus on your feelings for each other, focus on how you make each other feel, and be certain you are friends first and foremost (just like with any marriage), you can make it work!

I know, it kind of sounds like I'm saying, "all you need is love!" That's not exactly what I mean. Love is what you need to start, then the real work begins...

In upcoming "Mrs. P Tips" I'll share some things that have worked for us throughout our relationship. Hopefully they can help you with yours. 

Have you dealt with some of these naysayers yourself? How did you deal with it?

-- Mrs. P

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear your very interesting Deaf/Hearing love stories!